Hydro Power in a Nutshell
Hydropower, or hydroelectricity is one of the oldest ways of transforming energy. Hydro power is clean, a “fuel-free” source of energy. The potential energy of water is transformed into kinetic energy with the help of a turbine. This spinning movement can then be transformed into electrical energy with the help of an alternator or generator. After passing through the turbine, the water flows back into the river.
Hydro power is a renewable energy source, therefore helping to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and having a net positive impact on the environment. Decentralized, local, small scale hydro generation is one of the cleanest and most underdeveloped renewable energy sources. It is renewable, reliable and free.
Hydro Power Advantages
- Hydro Power is clean
- Extremely efficient
The Pico Cross Flow turbine is designed up to a maximum potential of 5 kW, which is very little energy transformation. No huge dams are needed, which cut off the natural flow of a river or harm fish migration. The Pico Cross Flow is designed to only divert a certain amount of water to run the turbine. Therefore a Pico Cross Flow installation has practically very little effect on the environment.
Pico Hydro Power Advantages
- Very small impact on the environment during construction phase and in operation
- Cheap to run and maintain once they have been set up
- Less complexity and little knowledge necessary to build and run
- The Pico Cross Flow turbine does not need high-tech manufacturing procedures and equipment
- Productive use compatible
- Only little maintenance is needed
- Constant generation over long periods unlike wind and solar power
- No “battery banks” or other replaceable spare parts needed
If you are lucky and there is water such as a stream or river running close to your house, water turbines are an ideal solution for providing reliable long-term renewable energy.